The official name of Askaniya-Nova is Askaniya-Nova Biosphere Reserve. It was established in the 1880s by German Friedrich Walz Fein as a wildlife reserve. The Ukrainian government designated it a national park in 1919 and reallocated it as a reserve in 1921. This reserve, which occupies more than 30,000 hectares (core area 11,000 hectares, buffer zones over 6,000 hectares, and transitional areas over 15,000 hectares), protects a portion. From the steppe virgin, with characteristic weeds and feathered weeds; About 40 different mammals, including the Anger horse and Przewalski's horse, and even ostriches have been introduced as part of a successful breeding program for endangered species.
Askaniya-Nova Biosphere Reserve is a representative of the biogeography district in the south of the Black Sea, located 60 km southeast of the city of Kakhovka near the Black Sea. Within this region, the ecosystem of the Festuca and Stipa steppes has been preserved as an island in the Dnipro-Molochnoe lowland, which has extensive land use practices.
Askaniya-Nova can be reached by car, bus or train. The most convenient railway stations for traveling from Askaniya-Nova are Novoalekseyevka, Kakhovka or the city of Kherson itself. There is a hotel in Askaniya-Nova to accommodate tourists; The local restaurant offers meals that are not gourmet but are healthy and cheap. There is an entrance fee but it is only two dollars. One of the tourism services provided is a horse-drawn carriage ride.